Friday, May 18, 2007

First tango lesson and the city of the dead

Today turned out to be a pretty busy day for not really having much to do. I left the house around ten or so and walked over to Comme il Faut to buy some tango shoes and ended up with a gorgeous pair in black (of course!). I booked back to L.´s neighborhood for my tango lesson with Gustavo and María.

Yeah, so tango is kind of difficult. I´m used to dancing salsa and merengue, where I can get away with not having the steps down perfectly...not so much with the tango. Your hips have to be still, carriage upright, move on the balls of the feet etc. It feels almost closer to ballet, or maybe that´s just because María kept reminding me about my sucky posture throughout the lesson. Anyway, my next lesson is on Monday, and maybe I´ll post some pictures from the lessons once I progress past walking backwards, forwards, and in a circle.

After the tango lesson, I went back for the house for some lunch and to search for a Spanish program that would take me on short notice, as I hadn´t quite had time to set something up before leaving for Buenos Aires (oops!). After that I decided to go check out Recoleta Cemetary and take some pictures before it closed for the day.

Recoleta Cemetary

http://www.cementeriorecoleta.com.ar/index.html

"It is cheaper to live extravagantly all your life than it is to be buried in Recoleta."

Recoleta is the final resting place for the creme de la creme of Buenos Aires society, and also a way to show off one´s wealth even after death! Most of the tombs are set up like miniature chapels, with an altar (generally with some coffins under it), some stained glass, and a set of stairs leading to the crypt below. The "streets" of the cemetary become less dense as you move further away from the gates--maybe being further away from the entrance is more like "living" in the suburbs or something.

A typical street:




A lot of the older tombs are in various stages of disrepair, I guess their descendants either can´t or don´t or won´t take care of them. Most of the older tombs, and some of the newer ones have traditional churchy architecture. However, there are also a lot of modernist tombs, some of which have clear plate glass windows and doors and kind of resemble posh marble showers. Here are pictures of some of the better modern ones:



And, of course, here´s Evita:



No comments: